Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Power of Jillsmo Compells me.

I was not going to ever deal with political issues on this blog, for obvious reasons. I have no real expertise, I am barely paying attention, and I have a slavegirl on a leash slurping beer from a dog bowl... I have no high horse to sit upon to judge others...from.
But just as Joe Biden forced the hand of the head POTUS in charge. Jillsmo, my mentor, just spoke about an issue on her blog that I thought I would add to.
O.K. it's not really forcing my hand. But she had an interesting story. The reason she got married was to make it more convenient to buy property. And that's why she is in favor of gay marriage.
See the connection there? She would have rather just lived with her main squeeze IN SIN than marry him. But, paperwork in buying property together is easier when you are married. that's it.
What many gay people march in the streets to get, she easily got but didn't even want.

I get that. I don't have one of those cool stories though. Well, not one about me. Or what was my big epiphany. Frankly, I actually thought it had always been legal. Shows you how much I know.
But when I think of gays who want to marry, I don't ever think about those over the top queens in drag.
I always think about David and Philip.
David was an interior designer at a furniture store I worked at. I was in purchasing and receiving. He did side jobs, and asked me to work for him as his assistant on those. The reason was, that I came to work in jeans and a dress shirt, but had the odd ability to empty an entire truck load of furniture while remaining clean... everyone else got filthy. This was the kind of skill that impressed gay interior designers. Also, he thought I was the only one who could tell he was gay. (ok, I love that about gay people...LMAO)

He lived with Philip. I met Philip once when they paid me $100.00 to fish a dead opossum out of their air conditioning duct. Apparently handling dead animals is just too icky for gays. Phillip was a good guy, and clearly the more masculine side of the couple. Sitting there on their deck sipping wine, they talked like an old married couple. I can't imagine one without the other. This was in the 80's. All their friends were dying of AIDS. And when we talked about that, they did this thing. They looked at each other, and held hands as if they were holding on for dear life. And I guess they were. Monogamy was saving them, as far as we knew at that time. But still, it really struck me how matter of fact their love was for each other. It wasn't corny, or silly, or sexual or creepy.... which describes most of the relationships I was having. It seemed legitimately obvious, and obviously legitimate.

So truth be told, I'm not really "for gay marriage". I just think those guys should be allowed to get married. But if that means that all gays should be allowed to get married then so be it... But really, if it was just called the "Only David and Philip can get married law", I would be cool with that.
Also, I am envious of all the lesbians at Dinah Pride. I want to be invited as a token straight...I'll bring slavegirl.

5 comments:

  1. How much better would the world be if more people had a David and Philip in their life?

    --Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just think of all those David and Phillips out there just wanting to marry the love of their life. And just think of all the moms and dads waiting to give their David or Phillip away. All I can ever think is what if my little girls are? I grew up in a very homophobic house. Luckily homophobia is a choice...not something you are born with. The David and Phillip story made me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of a single good reason not to allow same-sex couples to marry legally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Dinah Shore weekend, not Dinah Pride...lo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!!! it's my friend Jen! I am so excited! I can't believe you came to my blog.. this is like having a rock star visit your house! But seriously, I am straight, I am actually proud that I remembered "Dinah Shore".. let alone.

      Delete

You should comment, really, do it... comment. No seriously. Comment!!